View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: How to calculate EV of this proposed investment?

The "seniority" of the debt, if the bonds are "callable", agency ratings (I'm fairly certain the bond market is anticipating the rating agencies to downgrade a lot of the automakers debt so you probably need to do some research into what the ratings are anticipated to be ), Yield-to-maturity to name a few things. Once you have a good idea as to what the rating of the bonds will finally be, you might want to compare them to other bonds that have the same rating both in the corporate sector and the mortgage backed security (MBS) sector. I'd definitely study up on bonds a little bit before taking the plunge. You also might want to think about a bond fund that is appropriate to the risk level you're willing to take with this bond. You might sacrifice some yield but the level of risk you undertake would probably go down a lot since you've diversified individual company risk away. I wouldn't ignore the MBS market with equivalent ratings. Ford bonds tanked and I know some are yielding 10% or so. At least compare the GMAC and Ford bonds. I would think that your advisor would be able to answer a lot, if not all of these questions if they know what they're doing.