View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: LC: One year ago (Stolen from STT Forum)

One Year Ago.....

I had recently discovered the value of aggressive play and thought MTTs were easy, I couldn't miss and had a 10K month playing only 5-10 MTTs a week.

I was buying family members ridiculous gifts for no reason (Ipod, tread-mill, etc). I paid for a trip to Napa with the G/F, and got myself an ipod and new laptop.

I played 50$ through 200$ max NL, and the occasional SNG. I thought party SNGs were for suckers.

I thought there was a chance I would quit work to play poker at some time in the future.

Now.............

I only play a few MTTs a month, and havent made a final table in months. I spend my poker time playing 1-2 and 2-4 6-max, 3-6 full-ring (thanks to CSC), and 20-50$ SNGs on party.

My G/F is now my fiance, no more lavish gifts, but poker helped pay for the ring, and will help as I support us for her last semester of nursing school.

I have come to realize that poker is hard work in many ways. Other than the occasional MTT-savant, earning a living playing poker is a boring job. I have no longer dream of giving up my job for poker. I treat tournament poker as a fun hobby (hopefully profitable). I treat limit and SNG play as a way to make extra money. Don't get me wrong, I dont dislike it in any way, just not something I would do for free.

oh yeah, and I dont drink when I play any more, which eliminates the possibility of blowing 1000$ playing 100-200$ SNGs when I couldnt read the cards.