View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting a dog

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, what do you want - a purebred dog or a mutt? What breed(s)? From a breeder or the pound? NEVER from a pet store.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if this are rhetorical but I think mutt seems best option based on other posters and your later comments. Why do you say never from a pet store?

[/ QUOTE ]
It all really really depends on your situation and what you're looking for. My wife and I decided to get a purebred boxer because they really fit exactly what we wanted in a dog. We know pretty much exactly what he'll be like both in physical size/looks and temperament when he's full grown and we're confident in his health because we went to a good breeder who had health records for generations back.

This isn't to say that a mutt is the wrong way to go - it really is a personal choice.

NEVER EVER buy a dog or a cat from a pet store. I'd presume the same applies to birds and whatever else as well. These dogs come from "puppy mills" where the soul focus is on pumping out as many puppies as possible as quickly as possible with no regard to their health or emotional well-being. These animals are also very susceptible to disease and injury from being on top of so many other animals all the time in close confines. There are no health records and you have no idea how these animals have been treated (very poorly). You may save some cash over going to a breeder, but I'd wager you'll spend the difference on vet fees with a sick dog. It really is a crapshoot and you probably have a better chance of losing than winning in this situation. For the sake of protecting yourself as well as not rewarding these practices, you should stay away.

Remember - the bottom line is that this is an animal that you're going to welcome as a family member into your home for the next 10-20 years. It's well worth the time and effort to put a little research into exactly what you want and into picking out the right dog for you.