View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Morality and Evolution

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But doesn't higher moral standards come from increased intelligence and a bigger brain? Like someone said previously, other pack animals also display some standards for acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

I also have questions about the role of "Intelligence and Evolution". It seems we are WAY over equipped in the intelligence department for what we need for the survival and perpetuation of our species.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brain size may also be an example of peacock's tale type runaway evolution.

One idea is that at some point we got hold of the idea that a favoured mate is one who displays creative talents (pictures, stories, etc) which then leads to a better and better ability to make such displays and hence a large brain.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

No, altough it may explain my attraction to members of the opposite sex that have a big head [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely an idea so care to explain why its a bad one.

Here's an extract from 'the meme machine' by Susan Blackmore. first chapter here

[ QUOTE ]
My aim in this book is to show that many aspects of human nature are explained far better by a theory of memetics than by any rival theory yet available. The theory starts only with one simple mechanism - the competition between memes to get into human brains and be passed on again. From this it gives rise to explanations for such diverse phenomena as the evolution of the enormous human brain, the origins of language, our tendency to talk and think too much, human altruism, and the evolution of the internet. Looked at through the new lens of the memes, human beings look quite different.

[/ QUOTE ]

chez