Thread: Trash Talking
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Trash Talking

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many 'tells' in the chatbox, that I hesitate turning it off.

Most trash talking is just another tell. By observing carefully what is being said (in conjunction with the players actions), one can often get a pretty good idea of the players overall knowledge of the game.

I would also add that if trash talking by players has a tendency to put you on tilt, you should probably ask yourself why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya -

I did ask myself why. I kept on trying to play sheriff so the weaker players would continue to play. Then, playing sheriff became too much work and actually weakened my game. The cost benefit of figuring out the online "tells" versus my weakening play influenced my decision to turn the chat box off. It's too early for me to know how much I'm actually giving up.

Therefore, until I learn to effectively ignore these types of players (and I know they are everywhere) and use the information they are providing to me against them, I turn the chat off. It's a learning thing. I do understand that people may say rotten things in a live game and I have to learn not to react to it internally or externally. It's just another leak I'm trying to plug and something that I'll eventually get over by experience and self-reflection.

I just found it surprising that a 2 + 2 player would admit to this.

PB