View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Aggression level on Aces

Survey says: too cold.

I'm not going to argue with that. I've got to admit, from the PF cap and onward into the turn I was sure that I had this guy on KK or QQ and I was going to take down a massive pot at his expense.

What slows me down is this: yes, I've seen some wild tables there, but the vast majority of the Stars guys I have stats for are either loose-passive, loose-aggressive/passive, or tight-passive in that order. Many of these guys will hammer the pot pre-flop, but then back off to a raise or 3-bet post-flop unless they've got the nuts, especially on the turn. I don't have a good read on this guy, but he's just not slowing down for anything, and it's atypical. I'm imagining that the typical passive guy with KK is thinking, OMG he 3-bet PF, what if he has aces, and he backs off.

So I chicken out, and I call down. He shows 77 for trips, and I gag. Now I'm thinking, "am I spewing?" But I don't see any reason why I should have backed off of this any sooner, and there's a good case for taking it further.

Now this does highlight something I've been seeing pretty frequently with some of the more aggressive players on Stars. They have a habit of 3-betting or limp-reraising with any pocket pair. I think their rationale is that someone ahead of them is raising with AK, AQ, etc., and if they can get the pot heads-up, then they have a race and can steal from weaker players. Stars seems to be heavy on the tournaments, and I think maybe this is some misapplied no-limit tourney stuff leaking into the ring games.

I don't know if this is something that I have to factor into my evaluation. It doesn't happen a lot overall, but some of the most aggressive players do tend to do it frequently.