View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: I want the forums to be split...

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but: a) I'm not sure how much I see this; b) the point of a discussion board is to actually have discussion, and if "good" posters are going to make assertions with no argumentation to support them, people challenging this and asking questions is a good thing, not bad; c) even if we thought it was bad, there is no possible universe that we have access to where such a thing could happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

A.) I don't know if you would actually see this effect other than good posters not posting. Even then you wouldn't know why they don't post anymore.

B.) I was not suggesting they shouldn't be challenged in their assertions/argumentations. That's just dumb. The good stuff comes out during the argument. This is why I made points about them not being infallible and not having a members only forum. New posters are still allowed to post, but most of the crap will be redirected.

[ QUOTE ]
Replying with complete garbage is a different beast from questioning and disagreeing. Usually if somebody has proven themself to be an idiot, it's easy enough to point that out and let that be the end of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't get rid of the frustration, or the waste of space they create and the increase in difficulty to get to the "good stuff".

[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet is obviously a very good poker player, but frankly I don't think he's much as a 2+2 STT poster

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but he clearly stated why he didn't like posting here. And I think we can at least learn that this effect probably isn't only felt by him.

[ QUOTE ]
A FAQ would be great, but it looks like the momentum for that has been lost. I honestly think that if people could leave (sustainable ROI/folding KK PF/etc.) questions alone or answer them quietly and quickly instead of everybody having to jump on and flame the person who asked, a lot of the "garbage" would die a pretty quick death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a good amount would die. Perhaps it would be enough to make the forum sustainable enough to produce a significantly higher quality. I have no objections to trying that alternative first. But I think splitting the forum would be a more sure-fire way of having the same effect, especially since you won't have nearly as many low limit players responding to high limit posts.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think what would be smart is to direct different types of traffic to different places to manage all this information we have, and encourage the growth of the entire community. Overwhelming amounts of garbage stifles the growth and quality of a community.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While your last point is true, I don't think there's really any good way to organize things so that people put their garbage in the right spot, since I think it's a pretty small percentage of posters who feel they are posting garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think splitting it into high and low buyin sngs is an easy way to start. Most of the junk comes from low buyin posters.