View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: SS2 Phil Hellmuth Story

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Phil made a big deal during the hand, or if he even flipped his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the hand I am thinking about, Phil wrote about it in his hand of the week column. At least, it's a very similar hand where he folded an open ended straight flush draw getting 3-2 pot odds on the flop. It was discussed on here also, with Fossilman making a lot of good points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what I was really asking was if Phil made a big deal about it during the hand itself. I was guessing that he did, since Paul Phillips recalls being at the table next to Phil's when the action went down. Why would Paul have known, much less remembered, that he was present for this hand if Phil didn't bring attention to it while it was happening? It wasn't even at his table.

Whatever the case, it's still pretty clear from other instances that Phil's M.O. is to be dramatic and vocal when he makes a big laydown. Like when he (correctly) folded his top pair while heads up against Annie Duke during the T.O.C. (he showed his King for good measure). Or, during the World Series when he called over a camera crew to show that he was folding pocket kings when some (I think) unknown put him all-in off a ragged looking flop.

Again, I think Phil is trying to reinforce the image that he's willing to fold strong hands so that a) players will be more likely to overplay a hand b) when he does move in, players feel an extra pang of fear.