Thread: 10/20 97s
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: 10/20 97s

So the only hands that beat you on the turn are AK (6), AA (1), KK (3), JJ(3), AJ(6) or the unlikely higher flush. SB could have raised pre-flop with a number of hands: AK, AQ, AJs, KQ, maybe even KJs, or pairs AA-88. MP limped preflop, so of the hands that could beat you, only AJ seems possible. He also raised on the flop with 3 people already playing, so a higher flush in highly unlikely (with a paired board cutting into his odds if he hits it). Would SB have raised preflop with a hand like QTs or T9s? Maybe, but I doubt it. So you almost certainly aren't up against a higher flush. SB probably has trips or two pair, so you're ahead of him. MP might have a boat, but KJ seems like the only reasonable possibility for that (based on his preflop play). There's a good chance both he and SB have trip aces.

I don't think raising the turn is a good idea. If you get re-raised you'd probably have to fold (and you've likely paid the same as it would have cost to see a showdown). If you're ahead, there's a good chance you scare away SB, and you proably shouldn't be that concerned about giving away a cheap club on the river to a hand like K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. After all, there are only two clubs that would beat your flush.

On the river you should just call and hope for an overcall from the SB.

Now on the river, if you were sitting between SB and MP, you could consider check-raising with your flush after SB acts. It might be marginally profitable, but you'd have to consider folding to a re-raise, which wouldn't be good for your table image in most instances.

I think you played fine, based on the fact that there were two people in the pot. Heads up, I would have been more aggressive, but here you should just hope for an overcall since giving a cheap card isn't likely to hurt you, and there's a chance you're already beaten.