View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: An eerie silence when I get home

Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. I've had a lot of dogs in my life, and the deaths of each one tore me up. The death of my favorite one still bothers me a lot to think about. I used to hate thinking about it so much because it never seemed to get any better. Now it's a little better, I think because I've integrated his death into my understanding of him as part of his life, but the rest of his life as being much bigger, and something I was really lucky to be around for. The long happiness that his life brought my family, and me particularly, more than made up for the lasting sadness of his death. I couldn't have imagined a happier, more spirited, good-tempered, devoted, beautiful dog, and he loved the hell out of us. Nothing lasts forever, but we were damn lucky to get so much of what we got. He was a gift in our world that we were lucky enough to share. It was terrible to lose him, but it had to come, and losing him can't wipe away all the pleasure of having had him for so long. We were sad, but only that sad because he gave us so much to be happy about.

You can't be lucky forever, but maybe you can be lucky again. When the time is right and with a little love, you may find another great pet, and fall in love with it too. Lord knows, they make it so easy.