View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: What I do not understand about the conservative ideology

Yes, but the reason the government prosecutes murderes (and perpetrators of any other legitimate crime) is because they are a threat to the general society and have proven themselves to be a threat to society and the well-being of others. This is why I stated that the issue of abortion is a debate between religion-based morality and real-world practicality. Women who abort are not violent or a danger to society, and other than the fetus nobody is directly or indirectly victimized. If you murder someone, you victimize not only that person, but their family members, coworkers, friends, their neighboorhood, community, and society in general. This is not the case with an aborted fetus. The only conceivable victim is the fetus, and obviously the debate over whether the fetus is a life is why abortion is so controversial. I am not arguing for or against abortion, I'm simply pointing out that it is similar to other "crimes" like assisted/attempted suicide, drug usage, and underage drinking/gambling in that it does not jeopardize others or society in general, and therefore, at most, is a crime only in theory and not practice.

On a side note, why do people bomb abortion clinics? Is there a more blatant example of hypocrisy? I'm not trying to attack the pro-life argument in general by mentioning abortion clinic bombers, but it's pretty amazing that people will take such actions that defeat their own purpose.