Thread: $22: Flop Push?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: $22: Flop Push?

First of all, I would be checking that flop. You have a good hand, but the only way you're getting money out of it is as follows:

1. Opponent has a K and will not give it up. In this case, you still need to hit an A, 6, or diamond to win so you don't really need to be building a pot now. It makes it too appealing for the guy with the K to stab at the pot on the turn, and you likely won't have odds to call with only 1 card to come.

2. Opponent has no K but you get him to bet later. This won't happen if you lead the flop. When you lead that flop and no one has a K, they will all fold. If checks around, you can feel okay taking free cards.

Of course, with my line some bad things can happen. Namely, someone can sense your weakness and steal on the turn with nothing. Also, many players here will insist that you lead the flop to "define your hand". In other words, if you bet then you get raised you can feel pretty certain that villain has a K. I feel it's too expensive to buy this information, but that's a matter of opinion and, I suppose, style.