View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Playing Aces after the flop

Hi Acesover8s

I thought this thread could be interesting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I agree that if the hand was AAxx then calling would be good. And I'd never thought of doing a minimum reraise here - sounds a good idea if the scenario you envisage pans out and I'll definitely give it a try. I tend to avoid minraises and I've never min. reraised so that's a new idea.

However in this instance, JTG doesn't have AAxx, but aces double suited. They're very rare and a massive money spinner. The side cards are a bit problematic - the K gives you a draw to the nut straight and that's about it while the six on its own is useless. Even so, would it not be better if the hand is double suited to get as much money as possible into the pot preflop?

I checked the figures with Poker Calculator and you are a remarkable 50% + favourite preflop:

Monte carlo simulation results from Poker Calculator 1.1.4.1
Omaha Hold'em, 100000 combinations tested.

Hand | AsAcKc6s | xxxx | xxxx |
------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
Win | 50246 | 24084 | 24239 |
Draw | 709 | 1091 | 1068 |
Lose | 49045 | 74825 | 74693 |
Win% | 50.6% | 24.63% | 24.77% |

Same cards, but no suits you drop to a 43% dog to the field although still winning more than your fair share.

Even in a nightmare scenario against 6789ds and two small pair, 5533, you are still in pretty good shape:

Hand | AsAcKc6s | 9d8h7d6h | 5h5d3s3c |
Win | 289559 | 226144 | 142305 |
Draw | 0 | 0 | 0 |
Lose | 368449 | 431864 | 515703 |
Win% | 44.01% | 34.37% | 21.63% |

And this scenario will happen incredibly rarely. I agree with you that you have potentially an open hand - by that you mean they put you on Aces I take it. But wouldn't that be another reason why you shouldn't always be reraising with just Aces in this spot, or any other for that matter?

On position, I agree; with a flop like this one, you have dropped a large preflop raise and have nothing to show for it and no room to manoeuvre. But wouldn't the losses in this instance be more than outweighed by the wins?

I'm thinking the parallel may be a bit like AKs in hold em. If the game is PL or NL, then I wouldn't want to be reraising too often out of the blind. But in this game and with weak opposition I think get the money in now and see what the flop brings. After all, if you get a fantastic flop, won't you be kicking yourself if there's just $10 in the pot?

What do you think?

Sherbert.