View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Las Vegas vs. Disneyland

John,

It's Glen, the young blond hair kid that used to play 5-10 at Foxwoods on weekends. I'm at the University of Michigan now so I've only been to Foxwoods once in the past year. Maybe I'll see you soon as I'm coming back to Boston for the summer.

In any case, nice observations on Disney. I don't know if you've heard of their "Disney's Town of Celebration," which became "Town of Celebration" after it ran into a few problems. It was a town that was open to all social classes (except the lowest of course). Robert Stern was the "master planner" and Robert Venturi did some of work there, too. Basically, it was meant to restore a strong sense of community, while Disney tightly controlled all of the major decisions, as they do at their parks. Cleanliness, maximum security through surveillance - all the Disney themes were prominent in the design. They were attempting to sell a "pre-packaged life" and people bought it. There's was an article in the New York Times Magazine called "Town-Planning is no Mickey Mouse Operation." It's worth reading. I wonder what would happen if Las Vegas followed Disney's lead? That would be a turbulent town, lol.