View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Investment Problem

Assuming this is not your only investment vehicle, and also assuming that if you don't hit your goal, it won't be the end of the world this is my recommendation--EDIT--I just read your ransom post, however, I still start off on this route---END EDIT: Buy stock in a great blue chip company through its Dividend Reinvestment Program.

I am in ExxonMobils and the transaction costs are nil. Here are the stock prices over the last five years:

7/00 - $79
7/01 - $88 (11%)
7/02 - $41 (stock split - return 0% for year)
7/03 - $37 ( -9%)
7/04 - $45 (12%)
7/05 - $61 (14%)

Ok, this is only 5.6% average return over five years, but what about the consistent dividends that the stock pays? From what I can tell about the historical dividend I think that should add the equivalent of at least 2% to the stock appreciation raising us to 7.5%? I don't know how to figure that out.

I guess the two year span of a negative return didn't help this post too much, but this was during the economic downturn, and many blue chips struggled during this same time. I think 10% (plus dividend) really is the norm for this strong company, and I'm happy to stick with them, and keep plugging away whether the stock is up or down.

I think you would have a good shot at getting your 9.5% plus with this company over the next five years, with relatively minimal risk.