View Single Post
Old 12-12-2002, 03:53 AM

Default Re: I need the math, 4 cards to a flush and 3 left to draw.

Well, I didn't say it was practical example, just that that's how the method works -- IF you knew the information given, THEN that's how you'd calculate the probability.

Why bog yourself down worrying about actual numbers, especially when none were given in the original problem? The poster didn't specify that the game is 7-stud, after all...it could be 5-card triple-draw, solitaire, or 7-card draw and he's only looked at his first four cards.

When giving an example, you can choose to make a reasonable-sounding assumption that may or may not apply -- this sometimes makes the example easier to follow, but you run the risk of the example answer being taken as gospel even though it might not apply.

On the other hand, you could also use random numbers that would be rather silly in a practical situation -- if the silliness doesn't muddy up the method, then the example is just as clear and it's more obvious that the answer does not apply to the actual question being asked.

In this particular case, the numbers I used in my example were probably confusing, since I didn't explain why I picked them, or how you'd figure them out in a practical situation. I just assumed that he'd be able to figure them out...my bad [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry for the confusion -- I in no way meant to imply that I'm psychic, although that would be a rather useful skill at the poker table. ("I fold, and can you pay me back that $500 I loaned you? Let's just say you shouldn't make any plans after next Thursday...")

Cheers,
PP

P.S. BruceZ -- I must admit that this statement confuses me:

I thought you were sandbagging

The guy needed help, I tried to help him. How is that sandbagging?