View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: In the BB with AKo late in tourney

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree under most circumstances. Baring an unusual play and a spectacular read on this player you are most likely against a small pp or possibly a weaker ace. I lean toward a call here to push you into contention for a win instead of simply limping into a slightly higher money spot.

The logic that the smaller stacks will go out first, all things being even, is flawed. You are infact a small stack with just over 5xBB remaining in your stack. They are not simply going to wait around to get blinded down, they are going to act on thier hands that promise to be at least a coinflip and possibly a 2:1 and so should you. Limping into a slightly higher money spot is a terrible way to play tournaments. With just 5xBB left in my stack at a 6 player table I'm begrudgingly taking a stand with AK. Its not the ideal situation but its the best you are likely to see before you are blinded to death.

The only time I might lay down this hand in this situation is if I am confident that I can move allin on the next few hands regardless of the cards and take some blinds down quickly (i.e. the table is playing terrified poker) and I truely believe this player may have AA or KK. These two circumstances will almost never occure at the same table, however, because at a table playing weak scared poker the chip leader will undoubtably be applying great preasure with a great number of hands.

-Brad