View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: I\'ve Read Barry\'s Book

Okay - so this is the 'Chemo is good or bad?' / Review Barry's book thread on 2+2.
Interesting combo.

Felicia - We are all pulling for you for the quickest of possible recoveries. You alread knew that of course.

Your openness about your ordeal is probably somewhat helpful for you I gather. Your courage truly is inspiring.

Now - to the other part of the thread (Barry's book).
I was very disappointed. I will be interested to see if others are as well when they get it.
I didn't know what to expect with Barry's book but it reads like a beginner's primer at times to me.
- don't bet too much on sports
- don't lend money to people who don't pay you back regularly
- the stakes at which you play depends on how much money you have
etc etc

There was some interesting stories and background on him.
There are lots of pretty pictures.
The hand examples are TERRIFIC and I completely agree that it's VERY interesting how Barry is willing to go through hands where he believe he made a bad play. That's the first thing that came to my mind.

I absolutely was loving the hand examples and would love more actually.
I did get something out of the book....but it's not as spectacular as I thought it was going to be.
Maybe that's just my style but I really did think it was rather 'fluffy'.

Again - I'll be interested to read what fellow like-minded 2+2'ers of the "can't wait to get it" vain conclude when they receive their copy.
I was also in the "can't wait to get it" category but it just didn't do enough for me.

(FWIW - I was also in "can't wait to get it" mode for SSHE and HOH and HOH2 and they all EXCEEDED my expectations. So I don't think my excitement to get this book was just setting me up for a let-down or anything like that).