View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

I wouldn't mind a physical labour job. You get to relieve some physical stress and get outside more often. I've been a maintenance worker for a property management company, a bus boy at a busy restaurant during the weekdays only, and a mover for a large moving company (which had its perks, seeing as we only moved offices, and those companys leave a lot of valuable garbage behind when moving).

The bussing position was probably the best for poker. My shift schedule was 10-4 M-Th, and I received tips (which nearly doubled my minimum wage salary). I'd be able to play nights as weekends as necessary, and see my friends on most of those days. I got good exercise; the restaurant was always busy, and I had to move fast. You get meet a lot of interesting people, both clients and co-workers, and I found I had enough time to clear my head when I wasn't in a great mood (great for those days where you tilted hard the night before and need to recoup before the next session).

EDIT: I just re-read OP and realized that this probably doesn't fall into the category of "socially respectable". Try being a website or software developer on the side; but it sucks to be on the computer day-in day-out. It's too easy to have poker consume you full-time.