Thread: AA hand
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: AA hand

Yes, open raise all-in or check. This is my thinking:

1. You check. Any hand that's calling large raise from utg is surely re-raising (unless they put you on a slow-play), then you take them all-in. If AQ raises and then calls an all-in re-raise from utg, then they are a fool. You can still lose (I have a bitter post to this effect - pushed it all in with KK and was called with AQ and lost but, to be fair, that was in the bubble). Here only an idiot would call (I believe). You've picked up some chips, showed down a monster you've slow-played and made the table think twice about raising your calls )(which will be handing if you get 55 utg next time)
2. You raise all in. Again, only a very strong hand is calling and you have that hand dominated.
3. Any other raise - what are you hoping for? A call from a strong hand or a nut drawing hand is what you're going to get. If that hand hits the flop, you're being taken all-in and you're beaten and beaten with a holding you can't get away from easily. If he's got the str8, the best you can hope for is a split. If he's got two pair or a set, you can improve to the nut flush or nut str8 but he can improve even further to the boat.

I don't like the raise you made pre-flop in mid-stage tournament. It's crying out for exactly the sort of action you don't want. Even if the board appears harmless: 4, 8, J rainbow, and you bet out and get re-raised - is this trips? Or is it a big stack putting you on a high pair and making an easy bluff?