View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Medicare: Go Ahead and Smoke...

[ QUOTE ]
No, people can be provided "grandfathered" benefits according to what they have already paid into the system. In this way SS and Medicare are phased out incrementally.

[/ QUOTE ]

but this would still screw everyone who is due benefits. do you see why?

btw, i am not arguing that it's a shiitty pyramid scheme. i am saying abolishing it is leaves a lot of people in poverty and without health insurance.

[ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate how ending a ponzi scheme would make it "bigger" than it already is.

[/ QUOTE ]

read the above post. i know this from my family's background (not specifically social security/medicare). they were promised pensions and health care when they retire. the system was abolished, and they received their contributions back at a pro-rated rate. the contributions were worthless.

[ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. Low or zero population growth makes it much harder to keep SS going.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is harder to keep SS going in its current incarnation, because current contributions pay for people who already retired. i am not arguing that. OTOH, there's no reason why a different system cannot support a non-growing population of seniors.