View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Jokerswild Is Already Back Posting...

[ QUOTE ]
I quickly realized that threads about moderation cause far more problems than they solve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct. I learned that one too. I once made a post with the intention of setting everyone's mind at ease about moderation policies by making a full disclosure about what they are, and how they will be enforced. The key points I tried to convey were that the rules would be the same as they have always been, and that the policies would be minimally intrusive on the right of free speech. That was a complete fiasco because what the people perceive is that now there is talk of moderation, and rules, and banning, where there was not the talk of such things before, and therefore there must be some great changes afoot to make the forums more restrictive. It's irrational, but that's human nature apparently.

Further, if you make a post to respond to one person's concerns, at least two more will join in with their own concerns. Then you respond to those, and each response will bring at least two more people into the discussion. Soon a runaway chain reaction will ensue, with the whole forum embroiled in a heated thread about moderation and moderators, and the moderators haven’t even done anything yet. All of this because you tried to assuage one person's concerns. Definitely use PM for that.