View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Will the U.S. try to stop online gambling

Thanks for the endorsement CrackerZack. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Federal Wire Act of 1960 applies specifically to "any sporting event or contest". This has been further clarified to not include the person placing the bet but only the person accepting the bet and according to the the US 5th Circuit of Appeals to sports betting only. Although the US Attorney Generals Office publicly disagrees with this interpretation the only recourse left is to appeal the relevant 5th Court decision to the US Supreme Court (which they have declined to do) or for the US Congress to either modify the current statute or write new laws specifically with internet gambling as it's focus (which they have attempted to pass the last two sessions of Congress).

As I believe someone mentioned above Congress has focused on the transaction aspects of internet gambling, so far refusing to distinguish between games of skill or chance.

See Title 18 Part I Chapter 50 Sec. 1084 of the US criminal code for further information.

As CrackerZack wrote this act does not preclude States from enacting more restrictive laws. As far as I know Nevada is the only state to modify their laws with specific language that includes the word "internet".

Wake