View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Check Raising Top Pair Against a Maniac

3/6 game in a Southern California cardroom. I limp with Q10 offsuit, a Queen hits the broken, rainbow flop and I know the crazy to my left will bet. I check, he bets, and there are a couple of callers (who know he’ll bet anything). I raise when it comes back to me. He calls, as do the other two guys. I bet the turn, only the maniac stays with me. Bet the river, he calls and shows me Q3o—I win. Another guy at the table (a guy who’d been trapped for an extra bet) insisted that my play was bad because you should only do this with a monster, but I maintained that, because no one raised the LAG I knew my hand was good (at that moment, anyway); it allowed me to REPRESENT a monster after having played several hours of very tight poker and that this caused the other two schmucks to bail to my turn bet rather than maybe chase a 5-outer or gut. On top of this, I also felt sure that the crazy would attempt to chase me down, despite his ridiculous kicker. The whiner responded with: “do that EVERY time, would you?” and I suggested to him that only idiots do any poker move EVERY time. What do you think?