View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Re-online broker

Good points, Sniper.

The only additional thing I'd add is that someone who does choose to actively trade within an IRA consider the costs of commissions, percentage of the realized gains those commissions represent, and the effect that the trade will have on the return of the overall portfolio. Certainly, sometimes, you've got to sell something or want to get into a particular issue, but considering the general investing public follows the "odd lot" theory of investing & buys high & sells low, I'd caution any unseasoned investor before venturing into foreign equities. (Not to say that the original poster is unseasoned or whatnot...) What's happened in the foreign market is done by the time you or I are at our desks in the morning, and some investors aren't willing to see that a stock took a hit and now there's nothing they can do about it except put in a sell order.

Active portfolio management has significant benefits if you're managing with an overall goal and asset allocation strategy in mind. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Sticky [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]