View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 AM

Default An American\'s first English football/cricket bets

All on Bet360, for Sunday (my first online sports bets ever actually)

$70 on Man United to win at Newcastle (4/7). Newcastle has been absolutely awful so far this season under Graeme Souness, and even at St. James' I don't think they reverse it quite yet.

$300 on England to win the Fourth Ashes Test over Australia at Nottingham (3/10). This one's over. Even if Clarke/Katich and co. manage to make England bat again (which they probably will), Australia's bowlers are so banged up and frankly demoralized that there's no way to make the miracle occur. Also, if I was Australia, I make sure McGrath is out there for the 5th and deciding Test if he can so much as stand up and walk, and if not I'd simply let the quicks get the shine off the ball and let Warne go at the English batsmen in long spells. It's their best shot at retaining the Ashes.

$100 on Michael Clarke not scoring a second-innings century in the Fourth Ashes Test (2/5) - Went with my gut on this one. I don't think Clarke can come up with his maiden Test century under these kinds of circumstances.

$30 that the first dismissal of Day 4 of the Ashes Test will be clean bowled (4/1). - Ditto. Just a hunch.

--Scott