View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Giving up small pots - theoretical question

[ QUOTE ]
everything turns into a pissing contest once they hit the bet or raise button for the first time, so the only way to take down little pots unconstested is for you to piss first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is true. Bet this flop (or checkfold). Checkraising is meaningsless because he will never fold and u got no idea where u are and he is good at using this.

Also I would start with raising this preflop because they would raise preflop with Ax so now any Axx, Qxx and Jxx flop will be yours and megaLAG will pretty often fold Axx if he isnt hit, but not Qxx and Jxx, which is perfect.

The upside of playing every pot aggressivley until showdown (of being a megaLAG) is that u will win a lot small pots when noone got a hand and u will win a lot more then others when u actually hit a good hand against another good but not so good hand, because noone gives u credit for it.

Downside is that u will lose much more then u should every time u come to showdown with a worse hand, and that is most of the time, at least as long as it isnt HU.

If a megaLAG was a good player we could say to ourselfs: "Ok, I got to call/attack a little when I got nothing at all because otherwise he will not give me action when I attack." (This is how we play agains a good LAG)

But this is how we would think. We would think that if a guy only bet against us with a real hand he would be easy to read and we would stop betting nothing.

But this is not how the megaLAG thinks. He is betting/raising because people fold when u do that. In his mind he will adapt to us calling/attacking a little more (like in this QJo hand) with betting/raising a little less, because now people suddenly folds less. And then he starts to play better, not worse.

If u play against a megaLAG u must let him win if u want him to keep playing like an idiot. If u call him down every time u think its +-0 u will not only get much higer swings, u will also get him to think u are boring, never folding when he bets. His style suddenly has less effect.

The easy way to play a megaLAG is to fold when u got nothing, call with little and bet/attack with ok hands. Dont go into a mindwar with him, dont try to outthink him. Just play your cards like you did when u started out at $.50/1, u need best hand to win and they are so bad that u can forget about handreading, u just have to put them on a range of hands and play against that (if that range is "any2", thats just fine).