View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lestat presented a "simple' question with very little details and wanted an answer. The transparent intention is that he will then follow up with numerous "complications" attacking each answer given -- in an attempt to trap the responder.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree and disagree. The best way to find out about another persons views is to not constrict their ability to describe them by setting up a bunch of perhaps irrelevant preconditions. You state a general condition and let them add the lines that fit how they see it. Successful negotiatiing often works along those lines also.
If you lay out a detailed scenario, you're almost for sure going to put in stipulations that make it impossible for the other guy to answer ( have you stopped beating your wife).
Yes, there will be followup 'details' on both sides, that's the point of the general question on a philosophy forum, "I think X because of ABC".
I WANT people to find sloppy thinking or overlooked facts in stances I've arrived at, it's one reason I post on here and the crew seems to heave-to pretty well. No, it doesn't mean I'm going to become a Moonie, or that NR will take up Zen. The hope is that all parties will come away with a better grasp of their view and a better understanding/appreciation for the other guys.
I don't understand the 'fear' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the rest of Lestat's posts and you will see that his mindset is so totally different from yours. You are saying you are interested in hearing others views to expand your knowledge; he is interested in trapping someone and showing how stupid they are.