View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 03:02 AM

Default My trip to the \"upscale\" barber

A new barbershop, Weldon Barber, just opened about 15 minutes from my house. (It's in Issaquah, for you Seattle-area folks.) Their pitch is that this is a barbershop that really caters to men -- they've got a small flatscreen tuned to ESPN in the waiting room along with nice chairs and men's mags (Golf, GQ, Maxim, etc.). They also have nice leather barber chairs and walled-off stations so the whole world doesn't watch while you get your hair cut.

Even though I've never spent more than $15 on a haircut in my life, I decided to check it out. Since I'm such a cheap bastard in this regard, I figured I'd point out everything I got for my money and ask the good folks of OOT if I got a decent deal.

The services:
Shampoo and conditioner
Hot towels on face and neck during shampoo
Eyebrow hairs (a few strays in the middle) plucked
Shoulder massage
Haircut (obviously)
Straight-razor neck shave
Goatee trim
Hair rinse/style after cut

My cost before tip was $38 (I tipped $8). The woman cutting my hair was pleasant and we had a good conversation. I'm satisfied with the cut and goatee trim, but still a little unsure about spending triple what I would normally spend.

So what do you spend to get your hair cut? And did I get a reasonable deal for the services received?

Oh yeah: I was offered a soda or water while I waited, which was a nice touch.