Thread: Hand...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Hand...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An aggressive stealer could open any 2, continue on the flop, pick up a FD on the turn, and C/R bluff the river as a last chance to win the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

99.9% of the aggressive stealers I've played against would either bet or checkraise this turn with a flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
An aggressive player could play a PP like this. An aggressive player could play a 5 like this, or a hand with a J in it like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they have those hands they usually want to showdown with them for cheap. I see no reason why they would checkraise the river, they probably think there is a decent chance they are good and just want to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is essentially my answer too.

That a steal-minded PFR Villain would not represent the ace by betting (or rarely checkraising) the turn is shocking. I think the inference that checkcall means too good to bluff is very strong. Of course Villain could have the flush draw if he is very passive about semibluffing, but then he won't be bluff checkraising the river.

There is also the issue that checkraise bluffers don't usually call reraises.

This 3-bet needs to make its money off of Ax and underpair hands that went for the exotic delayed value sexy with a moderate made hand. Far be it from me to say that this play is never made, after all everything happens in this game, but offhand I can't remember ever seeing it.

Once again there is the issue that one-pair hands may fold. Overall you will virtually always be capped when you are behind, virtually never be capped when you are scooping, and will frequently not be paid when you are best. The odds are really stacked against this 3-bet.