View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: The virtues of Omaha/8

I couldn't agree more. At the moment online I play almost all O8 and it's the biggest money making game I've found. I've read a few posts on the O8 forum about why the games isn't spread more and a lot of it is concerned with lack of interest and problems with finding good dealers. A mediocre O8 player (which I am) can easily pick off all the fish in a game, most of which are HE players playing two card Omaha, raising with AKxx, losing huge pots with aces etc. Another great thing I've found about playing online is that, since most pots are multiway and become very large, it's one of the best games to win money at and clear bonuses. The only downside is that the game is not as fast as HE and a tight player will play very few hands per hour and stay till the river with even less of them. However, multi-tabling can make it go faster but not much.

As poker, and when I say poker I mean texas hold'em, becomes more popular there will be an influx of interested players diving into Omaha and O8. I'm thrilled that ESPN will be covering the Omaha WSOP event and hope the game can gain some popularity and increase interest in the game's split poker cousin, Omaha8. Maybe next year they'll cover the PLO8 tournament. I'd love to see how pros play the game.