View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: OT: Stanford Prison Experiment

[ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the original film? Do you know if the participants saw the film prior to being asked their feelings about participating?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen 2-3 films on it, some were recreations and some had some original footage, I'm not sure if I have seen the original film you are mentioning though. I can't say for sure, but I would assume that the subjects didn't see any film before assessing their feelings about the experiment since the results of the first experiment came out in 1963, and I doubt the experiment was so overhyped immediately back then.

Exact quote: 'When the experimental series was complete, subjects received a written report which presented details of the experimental procedure and results. (...) All subjects received a follow-up questionnaire (...) which again allowed expression of thoughts and feelings about their behavior. The replies to the questionnaire confirmed my impression that participants felt positively towards the experiment. In its quantitative aspect, 84% of the subjects stated they were glad to have participated in the experiment, 15% indicated neutral feelings and 1,3% indicated negative feelings.'

Excerpt typed by yours truly and sourced from 'Issues in the study of obedience: A reply to Baumrind' by Milgram which dates back from 1964 or 65.

So yeah, he doesn't say when exactly he mailed the q's but I guess he did soon after the results of the experiment were published, which is most probably before any films or negative publicity was spread around about the experiment.