View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Defending my $4-$8 Article

In my abbreviations.. SB = small bet or $4 in a 4-8 game, not small blind. I'm sorry for the confusion.

It is not the same at all. The reason the small blind folds in this case, is because a big blind who raises is frequently showing a good hand and the small blind then re-evaluates his situation and decides to fold.

I think your are off base here. For example... say you limp in the SB with 88 after three limpers and then the BB raises. Say you know for sure that he would raise from the BB with only AA or KK. Should you then call the raise? Yes... you should, even though your hand is badly dominated. You should call it because you have the appropriate implied odds to continue if you flop your set.

Now say you are in the same situation, but this time have limped in the SB with T4s. The BB then raises. His raise still means AA or KK (meaning you are actually less dominated against his hand as you were in the preceeding example). You should now probably consider folding in this case. The reason you fold here is not because you like your hand less now against the raiser... but because your implied odds have been wrecked by having to put in a full small bet.

As a third example... say you limp in the SB with AK (let's disregard the quality of this decision) and the BB raises (and his raise still means AA or KK). You should fold when it comes around to you... and this is because the raise has told you that your hand is hopelessly dominated. So yes... sometimes you fold because you have learned that the raiser has a strong hand... but other times (probably more often) you fold because the implied odds were present to see the flop for half a small bet, but not for an additional small bet even though the pot odds remain the same for both calls.