View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 2 late tourney hands for criticism

I disagree with the other posters about hand 1. Six handed, sorta like the bubble, as everyone knows you are going to the final table now. I think a blind steal with Axs UTG is OK to play here... but only if the table has been pretty tight. Otherwise, I'd fold and wait for a better opportunity. Anyway, you have to call 1500 and the pot is 4650. You are just over a 2:1 dog against KK - 66, a coin toss against pocket 55 - 22. Also, about 2.2:1 against AK or AQ with none of your suit. The only hand that you won't have the odds to call against is AA. So, what do you think the chances are he has AA? I'd say your odds are about 2:1 against the range of hands he could be playing, and you are getting 3:1 from the pot. I'd say you have to call here.

Hand 2: To me this all depends on the tightness of the table. The tighter the table seems to be, the better the chance I push here. If the big stacks behind you are playing sherriff, I'd probably wait it out. The absolute key, though, is when you are shortstacked you have to pick a hand you feel good about and push... letting Lady Luck make her decision. And, the kicker IS important, generally. In this case, a call is going to mean trouble no matter what... you are really hoping for a lucky board for your hand, or a blind steal, so the kicker is meaningless since a call will mean you probably need luck no matter what.