View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

[ QUOTE ]
How about this- how about you try to define race? I'll make it easy on you, define black verses white.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the purposes of this discussion, race is simply the grouping of peoples that had a long period of reproductive isolation from one another. These two groups, having been unable to mix genes for tens of thousands of years, evolved different gene frequencies and even different genes. The most obvious examples of these differences are skin color and facial features (particularly the nose).

I don't want to get into the semantics of race, because frankly it's pointless. My only point is that there are characteristics endemic to each ancestral grouping of people with common ancestral traits (i.e. race).

What I further propose is that some of the differences between these groups may be more than superficial. Do you agree that such is possible?

To get back to the original article, finding a gene mutation that causes white skin is being used as 'proof' by the feel-gooders in this thread that we're basically all the same and race is an illusion. I take exception to such politically motivated and intellectually lazy conclusions.