View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey- maybe now they will find a cure for black people.
Wait, was that racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Delightfully so.

I think it's pretty clear that our ancestors were once all black people in Africa, a long time ago. Makes racism kinda funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that it was hilareous that most racists deny this as much as possible. The obvious best response for them is to embrace evolution, and to claim that since everyone was black (or dark skinned) at one point, that white people are obviously "more evolved".

[/ QUOTE ]I had an interesting discussion today with some of the students at my college. One of them was a African-American from Ohio and the other person was an African from Chad. They both said it was common knowledge among Africans and black people in the United States that whiteness was completely made up. I've always believed that race was a social construction, but it's interesting to me that so many white people seem to think there is some essential difference between blacks and whites. Meanwhile, it seems like most blacks are well aware that this difference is utter crap.

The point I am trying to make is that knowledge is often passed along in interesting ways and then "rediscovered" by science.