View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

Note: this isn't aimed at anyone in specific. Just writing my general thoughts on this topic.

Regardless of whether someone wants to go pro or get a real job, I still wouldn't trade my college experience for anything (I graduated in 2004, I'm one year out). The things I learned, both in the classroom and out, the people I met and lifelong friends I made, the parties, etc. It seriously was the best damn 4 years of my life. If you have absolutely no interest and motivation to work toward a degree right now, I don't think it's awful to take a year or two off from college if you can make a lot of money while the poker boom is still around. I would highly recommend you still participate in some sort part-time job or volunteer organization though, even if it's only a few hours a week. You always want to continue to keep your social network alive. One good reason is if you ever want to change from being a poker pro, you're going to need good references and letters of recommendation. Pretty much everything you apply to in life demands these.

You can go back to college at any age, but if you wait too long, you won't be able to experience the true social aspect of college. If you're starting to get into your late 20s, you're just not going to fit in with the younger college students. Maybe you're not interested in the social aspect of college. That's fine then, to each his own.