View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Raise for a free showdown? ($10/20 5 handed, A3s blind steal)

Okay, looking back at this, I still think I like the hand, but I like it more if Villian was BB... oh well.

[ QUOTE ]
The guy check raised you and then led the turn. What makes you think you have enough chance of being ahead that raising the turn for a free showdown is useful? I really don't see many folks c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn when on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

An average party 10/20er will do this with a flush draw as well as A6 like TStone says. Also, random bluffs on a low board will comprise part of his range.

If I am in fact behind, I'm putting the same amount of bets in to find out. I'm rarely getting 3-bet by a worse hand, so folding isn't a problem.

If I'm ahead of a draw, I get an extra bet in if he misses since he's not calling a river bet or even betting it himself all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
btw metetron, 3betting this flop and betting turn/checking and calling a river bet = cheaper showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStone,

I don't think I get nearly as much respect with a flop 3-bet on this board vs. a turn raise. I'm likely to get capped with a draw or some other weird BS pulled on me that may make me fold the best hand.

Also, I don't get the small, but not insignificant chance that he is one of those players who can fold to the turn raise... it is after all an awesome scare card.

I still can't think of a line I like better than this one. 3-betting the flop tends to get me check/raised on the turn or capped on the flop more than I'd like. It's aggression I have trouble facing from LAGgro opponents.