View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Yes Virginia, people do \"make moves\"

[ QUOTE ]

I am curious to hear more arguments about why checking the turn is a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically related to the concept of when you have a good draw but would hate to see a checkraise (which is what happened)

also, given texture of the flop, it's more likely he has a made hand then draw (what draw could he have?) and him calling with air to c/r bluff the turn seems like a pretty sophisticated bluff, so if you bet the turn he's either going to be check/call sherriff mode with a J or something, or c/r you with a big hand. so you have limited fold equity and are just swelling the pot when you'd like to see the river.

however, if you didn't pick up the 4flush, a bet would be good because you dont have enough outs to really care if you're checkraised, and if he did call one bet with a mid pp (higher then a 6) a turn bet knocks those hands out (unless they go crazy and c./r you!)

also -

[ QUOTE ]

First, I think my call on the turn was very bad actually. I think the vast majority of the time, against most opponents, I am toast here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really agree, it owuld be one thing if he was all in, so it would be a pure math problem relating to hand weighting %, but given the board if you're "toast" you mean he has 2 pair or trips, (or higher pair and sharing kicker, which really isn't likely at all) since the board was J 6 2 i dont see a 2 pair hand and top set is a little less weighted given pf. just a little though. and you have a 6 so only one combination of mid set.

if i got into the turn dilmena, i would call here, as said you're priced in with a little bit of money left over to gain an extra edge when you hit.

edit: fixed flop, originally thought it was j 6 3.

edit #2: hmm, took out last paragraph.