View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: How did the bridge to nowhere happen?

Seriously, wacki, like some have already replied, it's the money. Every pol "owes" his successful election to people/groups who donate to his campaign war chest. These people/groups all have their causes/special interests and they want an "ear" in office. OK, a few exceptions to the every. But too damned few.

Engineering firms, land use experts and construction companies are very likely on his donor list. And they find ways to donate more than small amounts. The payoff is contracts for projects that aren't always needed or wanted. The "spin" is usually about the benefit(s) to the community and the district/state getting their tax dollars returned.

Donations will always be needed. Big donations come with perks for the donor and debts for the pol. Every time we see "Campaign Finance Reform" legislation and think maybe, just maybe, some sanity is on the horizon, the pols are busy finding the loopholes.

Also, it's been pointed out how the "tit for tat" line of thinking plays. "You pass my pork and I'll pass yours." It's collusion, plain and simple.

The last two sessions passed, I think I remember correctly, two of the largest omnibus spending packages ever. And they were both done at the end of the sessions. Damned near every member of both houses piled on every friggin' thing they wanted. Too bad GWB went along and signed off.

They all talk about cutting back this/that and saving here/there, but they don't seem to do it. Again, if my memory serves, Reagan commissioned a group of business people and they put together the "Gray Commission Report" (?). It was enormous. And a few pages of it were acted on. Very few pages.