View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Padooki Hand : I\'m Lost

Although I've played a lot of padooki, I find it hard to comment on your line. These type of questions are impossible to answer just from a hand history. It's like asking what do you do at Hold'em when you flop TPTK on a raggedy board and get check raised. Sometimes you're calling, sometimes you're passing, sometimes you're re-raising. It's the same here. You can only make this decision based on what you know of the opponent. Does his raise necessarily mean that he can beat your T padooki? I imagine some of the opponents in the new online limit games are over-playing any 4 card padooki, and might be raising you here with Ks, Qs or Js. But since I've not played it online at all, I don't know what the 'typical' opponent is like.

Since it is limit, I'd be inclined to call, stand pat, check call on the end, and keep my fingers crossed. But that's my general philosophy in limit poker and is the reason I can't play limit hold'em well (we just don't play limit poker of any type in the UK).

For what it's worth, in the games I play, my 'default response' to a pot-sized re-raise in this situation would be to pass (translated into your situation I guess that means call but break - since this is a huge pot in a limit game and you probably have pot odds to attempt to outdraw your opponent). But then, I'm not sure whether there is ever a time when I would resort to a 'default response'. The games I play in are so read and situation dependant that I can honestly say I might pass, call or re-raise in this scenario depending on how all the variables have added up.

Don't forget you are first to draw. If you stand pat, you put pressure on your opponent to break a slightly better padooki. If you combine this with a prior re-raise you would be making a great play if it worked. But, once again, this is all dependant on your read and knowledge of the opponent.

Obviously this hand is a small example of the importance of position in padooki. I don't know how you are finding positional play in your games. In the PL games I play in padooki may well be the game in which position is of most importance. Even more so than PL Omaha, O8B or Hold'em. I never feel so vulnerable when out of position in any other game. I imagine this is because of the PL structure which means bluffing and semi-bluffing are so much more important. In fact, bluffing is a bigger part of the game in padooki than in any of the other games I play. Sometimes it almost feels like your position lets you win the pot no matter what cards you and your opponent catch. How are you finding this aspect of padooki in your games?

I'm in the process of doing some analysis on the mathematical stuff behind this game. When it is finished I will put it on this forum. I'm not the best at maths though and I'm struggling with some of my research and analysis, so it might take a while and will doubtless be inaccurate. You definitely need to know things like exactly what are your chances of outdrawing your opponent in this situation if you decide to break your T padooki. I'm just trusting your line on this and assuming that you do have the pot odds. Like I said, I don't play limit so these situations (where you have huge pot odds to draw at longshots) just don't occur in my games. The whole idea of deciding you're beaten but calling and then breaking here seems totally alien to me, but might well be correct in such a large pot at limit padooki. That's another reason why I can't play limit well I guess.

I'm going to have to register and start playing padooki online. I might very well be a total fish playing the different rules and with limit betting.