View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: The hardest part of NL Holdem is....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Playing heads up when a full table breaks up with a guy that pops in an goes all-in just about every hand preflop and pushes just about every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the easiest situation in poker for me....wait for a an AJ+/88+ then get it allin when u have an overpair or top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate calling an all-in with AJ or 88, even if I know it's positive EV given the maniac's behavior. Even a maniac picks up a real hand sometimes.

I think this is really a bank roll management question. I shouldn't be playing heads up if I can't be happy losing AQs to T7o when it all goes in before the flop. Nevertheless, I find it hard to do when it took 3-hours to double my buy-in and now that the table's short I can lose it in one hand to a maniac while doing everything right.

It's probably the magnitude of variance against a maniac that I find hardest to deal with at NL and this is just one example. Fortunately, maniacs really don't last long. I just like being the guy that busts him A LOT more than being one of the guys he stacks once or twice before he busts out.