View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: AAxx situation I find difficult.

I think a check raise is better. If he is at all perceptive, he's going to tend to think you have more of a drawing hand than a made hand and will be able to blow you off with a big bet on the turn or the river. If you check raise you may get him to overcommit with a hand you have a fair amount of equity against like Q9Tx or QQxx / KKxx with spades. Hey may also fold a very strong hand if you've been playing fairly tight and giving him respect.

As played, I think betting the pot on the turn would be a mistake. If you're ahead you want a caller here, he's likely drawing fairly thin. If he flopped TTP and has decided to look for a safe turn card, you have approximately 15 outs so it's not the end of the world if you get raised. I'd probably bet about $45 or $50 here, wanting him to call with a bad draw but not terribly disappointed if he folds either.

Assuming he calls the turn, I would check raise a spade OTR if I knew he was likely to draw to weak flushes here and / or bluff in big pots. If a non spade Q or 7 comes off, I'd probably check-fold to a reasonable bet. I'm not overly fond of check-calling with one pair, even HU, so I'd be more likely to make a small blocking bet on the river and fold to a large raise. This is all highly player dependant and would rely on the range of hands he is likely to call the flop and turn with.