View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Mel Gibson let me down big time with this movie

I thought it sucked, primarily for 2 reasons.

1) The excessive gratuitous violence.

Three of my favorite five movies are American History X, Braveheart (also directed by Mel Gibson), and Fight club. Obviously, I don't have a problem with seeing violence. The problem lies in that this is a movie about Jesus. Where's the passion? Where's the message that you are supposed to love all men? Where's the story about a really cool dude? None of it is there. It is all replaced by gratuitous violence.

2) Historical Inaccuracies

These have been mentioned before, and I'm no historical expert, so I won't go into detail. Also, I have no problem with historical accuracies if they make the movie better, but in this case, they most certainly did not. Two exampless: 1) The Jews in the movie are portrayed as an angry mob filled with bloodlust, while the Roman leaders were portrayed very benevolantly. /vomit. Next. 2) The cat of 9 tales (the most brutal part of the movie) was never used on Jesus. If the movie needed the audience to feel some sympathy for Jebus or something, this would be a great addition, but the audiences are already vomiting mid-film as it is.

/end rant