Thread: Torrents
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Torrents

[ QUOTE ]
It's the piracy issue in general. Do you have a figure on the percentage of torrents being used to do this? Are you certain that the examples you give are perfectly legal?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I don't have a figure, but BitTorrent (BT) doesn't work like that. The number of .torrent files would have no necessary correlation with how much it is/was downloaded. As far as legality is concerned, it is still legal to download copywrited music files for sampling if the files are deleted from your hd within 48 hours of their creation. As far as the legality of other copywrited files that are exchanged over BT networks, there are a couple reasons why these networks are able to stand up legally much better than past p2p networks. Other people are going to have better knowledge than me on the tech side of this, but from what I've read up on them the fact that you are not able to search for a file by name anywhere other than the www gives keeps BT networks from doing anything illegal there. And the fact that actual users have to post the .torrent tracker and all of their info is very readily available to anyone is also a plus for the networks because they don't hide anything. Most users of BT who know enough about it to be able to host .torrent trackers know enough to host them on servers in places where nothing illegal is being done.

So as far as it being "perfectly legal", I know that what I personally use BT for is in the clear and that the networks can be used that way. Yes it is true that people use them for illegal things, but there are whole BT networks dedicated to only hosting 100% legal torrents. As far as a ratio of legal : illegal usage of BT, I do not know but it is a real number. But again, if you want to ban anything that COULD be abused for illegal purposes, I think that is just silly and dumb.

GoT