Thread: Torrents
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Torrents

[ QUOTE ]
the technology is used to pirate other works as well, and we're not going to condone it. In this one case, I feel very comfortable with the subject ban. Moreover, not one person who questioned the deletion of their posts objected when I explained. I don't think I need to explain the difference between the potential effect of a torrent file and photocopies

[/ QUOTE ]
Mat,

This is all very silly imo. Torrents are a very popular way to transfer files on the internet now, and for a lot of us who spend a decent amount of time at our computers (most of our 2+2 community) they are just a fact of life. Yes, they can be used in borderline illegal ways, but they are not necessarily illegal or bad. I use them mainly to download episodes of television shows for my own viewing pleasure (perfectly legal) and for sampling new music albums I have never heard before (perfectly legal). Most other people I know on 2+2 and elsewhere use it for similar purposes. Because of they are starting to get more and more popular now, there are going to be more threads invovling torrents in OOT and other forums. Every thread involving a new epi of a TV show or a new album will probably have a mention of bittorrent in it (as it really should).

If you really wanted to ban a subject solely because it's illegal and not anything to do with the fact that you found out that you can copy and distribute 2p2 literature via this technology, then it would make much more sense to ban the discussion of weed or cocaine. Hell, ban us from talking about underage drinking if you really believe that removing all discussion of things illegal is what you should be doing. Those are things that are actually illegal and talked about often and in depth in OOT.

But there is just no reason to ban the discussion of torrents, as they are very useful, very real, and very legal (unlike the aforementioned). The only reason I can see that you seem to want them banned is because you found out they were used to pirate 2+2 literature. As I argued in a previous post, I think that is an absurd reason. And I hope I conveyed here that I think banning their discussion because they can be used to break the law is absurd as well.

GoT