View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Advice for a (fairly) new player

One poster said to withdraw all your money... DON'T! you'll just end up redepositing someday... and there is nothing wrong with playing poker...

try treating it like a job. i set time aside and play, a time to start and a time to stop then- and i never just hop onto a poker table while i'm working or surfing the web (unless the table's extra-fishy!).

If i were you, knowing what i know after having played seriously for a year, i would seek to limit my variance (swings) and learn how to make a consistant profit. this means no playing 3/6 until you're bankroll is at least 2k (i prefer much more), for starters, 1/2 is probably a good choice, esp if you multitable (i make much more playing 4 tables of 1/2 than i do playing 1 or 2 3/6 games). also, bonus whoring is a great way to increse profits and pad losses- if you really enjoy poker (there is a difference between enjoyment and addiction) you should learn how to maximize your profit and then treat it as a part time job- it's a great way to earn mad money for a student ($$$ to take your GF out, buy beer, have fun), as long as you don't need to depend on it to pay your tuition or anything...

It's also important to study yer ass off when attempting to go this route: read TOP, HEPFAP, SSHE, SS, etc...

I wish that online poker was this big when i went to school. instead, i dug ditches and painted houses.

remember:
study the books;
part time job;
bonus whoring;
mad money not bill money;
poker is fun,
and hopefully profitable.

GL to you.