View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Advice for a (fairly) new player

Notice how even the superstar players come out with things like books and endorsement deals? Doyle was the champion of the world when he wrote Super System. Why did he do it? Because even the great ones have a tough time making a solid living on a game as erratic as poker and he wanted the steady income! Now I'm not saying Doyle doesn't do damn well for himself without book sales, but I am saying that you're probably not Doyle.

When you play poker as a hobby (like I do) then it's really easy to think wow I could make so much playing full time except a) think how much taxes would chew up (you probably aren't paying them now but you will have to if you play full time); b) think how much insurance and other benefits you won't have will chew up; c) think how much you'll have to save off the top of your winnings because you have no retirement plan; d) think about really playing poker 40-80 hours per week not because you want to but because the rent is due and you have a car insurance payment coming up in two months. Not a very glamorous life unless you're one of the very few who achieve true success and stardom.

All that said, maybe you are one of those people and if you think you are then by all means pursue it. But don't burn your bridge with your parents and don't not go to school. It's much harder to go back than it is to just finish it now. College doesn't take up that much of your time. You should be able to play a LOT of poker without hurting your grades too badly. Try that for a couple of years and see where it gets you. When you're young the toughest thing in life is patience.