View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: 100% standard AJ raptor hand from sb.. in the 55s at least..

Aight, not to bump an ailing thread, but I'm still trying to sort out what are the most imporant elements of this hand (cards, position, players, game stage etc). So I figured I'd ask if raptor's move is the same if he had fewer chips. Say you had just taken a brutal beat and were down to 400-500 chips, is your play still so meek (or, if this number doesn't change anything, is there any point before your stack forces you to push preflop that your postflop play changes). I feel like raptor's argument places more emphasis on the fact that this is a small pot and he doesn't need the chips than the fact that he feels he's beaten. But what if you did need the chips? *Edit:* I still feel that if folding is based solely on the intuition your hand is no good, then it's wrong (you won't be right often enough), but peripheral stragety considerations may make it very smart.

How can the rest of us incorporate this into our games. I'm afraid that in my 800-chip games that passing on small edges will leave me crippled on the bubble. I'm voluntarily involved in an average of 2 or 3 hands before we get to push/fold mode, so my mentality is "I need these chips, I'm not going to have many chances to accumulate." Is this hurting me? When my BB hand sort of hits, I fold 2nd pair, TPNK, 2nd best draws etc as easily as I should. But TPGK? That would be more difficult. I suppose I'm saying, I can't tell the difference between when I need to fight for a pot and when I can let it go, which, I suppose, is the heart of postflop play. I go absent-mindedly (and dramatically) from "only premium hands/draws with extra possibilities" to "push/fold" with not much poker in the middle. Anybody want to share some wisdom?