View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Home Game Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to a tournament with 18 people for $20 each, and from the sounds of things, there are barely anybody who can play. Almost ½ of them are woman(not trying to be sexist), wives etc,

[/ QUOTE ]

Some wives/girlfriends aren't as interested in poker as their guys are -- and so they play passive/weak games that are easily beat. But in these kinds of social settings, you may come across a couple women who are deceptively strong and know how to trap. Don't let rigid stereotypes cost you your stack. If she's been making some smart bets and some astute laydowns, perk up. If that sort of player reraises you, don't assume that your TPTK is going to win an all-in showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
How much does my strategy need to change? I would guess I should try to avoid all in confrontations and try to build my stack with value bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general yes. In your other game against TAG players, you might push JJ preflop and do well. But in a setting like this, if QTs, K6 and A3 all call you, each of them individually messed up, but in aggregate, they put you in a horrible box.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that there will be a table full of calling stations. Should I call a lot MORE hands in the early going in order to flop a big hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, position matters a great deal. Do loosen up from late position, calling with 1-gap connectors, Ax suited and any PP if multiple people are in and the bet is small enough. Play it almost like a loose limit game, where you're looking to play cheap longshots at times in search of a killer flop.

But be careful in early position. People who've watched too much TV are likely to push even tiny pairs if they're acting behind you. You don't want to get snarled up in someone else's weird aggression.

[ QUOTE ]
Or follow the "play tight in a loose game" mentality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends entirely how fast the blinds go up. If you can see 50 hands before the blinds get ferocious, play as tight as you want. If you don't have that much time, look to be a chip accumulator early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Part one of my game plan is to throw bluffing out the window I think)

[/ QUOTE ]

Early on this is a good idea. You may be able to bully short stacks in the middle of the game because they just don't want to go out too soon. Bet small on the flop and turn up the heat a little on the turn. Newbies hate to let go of even a dim draw on the flop, but by the turn, they're more realistic.

Once a few players bust out, you may be able to bluff if you're headsup after the flop with an Axx on the board or an obvious flush-capable board. Even rookies can sense that they might be beat. They'll hang on if the field hasn't started shrinking; they'll tighten up if a few of their buddies have busted out and they're now feeling the pain of dwindling chips.

Don't try to represent straights; they won't always see them coming.

Also, watch for OBVIOUS tells. If players are still learning the rudiments of the game, the players behind you are likely to look at their cards right away preflop and let you know whether they want to be in the hand or not. Adjust your betting accordingly. People with monster hands are likely to tremble, to reach for their chips or say something clumsily dismissive, along the lines of "I really shouldn't bet here, etc."

Most of all, have a little fun. These games can be consistently profitable and pleasant company if you don't intimidate the heck out of everyone else. Let even the losers feel that they had a good time and are starting to get the hang of the game.